Sunday, March 9, 2008

Zaireeka Reflection

Looking back on the Zaireeka experience, I'm not entirely sure how exactly I would categorize this music. It is definately experimental, so I think I'll leave it at that. What really got me thinking, however, was where does this music find it's place? Obviously, you won't see people blaring Zaireeka from a car while they're party hopping from location to location. But are there people that listen to this music just like I listen to Incubus? The thought is intriguing, but I just can't see it, perhaps I'm a tad close-minded, but in my opinion I think this type of music is decades ahead of it's time. It reminds me of Enya. It's different, experimental, and when people first listen to it they don't fuly understand it.

Whilst listening to Zaireeka (What is this name? A mix between Zaire and eureeka?) I felt like it could be the soundtrack to a beautiful permanent paradise vacation. Many of the musical numbers (tracks 1-3, part of 4, 5 and 6) were pacifying and reminded me of a carefree vacation, to Mexico or San Francisco. I had the entire experience: I was in a plane, the plane made a peaceful crash in the ocean, and I drifted my way to a random island off the Pacific coast, or in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm not quite sure why I had such an illustrated experience. I think it may have been all of the random noises blaring from all four of the ghetto blasters. These "random" noises meshed together so well that for some odd reason or another it sounded good, and sent me on a make-believe journey. It was an enlightening experience, and I'd definately do it again, just to reminisce about my travels in daydreaming. In all seriousness I am considering purchasing this album. To repeat, I've never heard any music that consists of just random noises thrown together to create something outstanding. I'm sure it's much more complicated than that, the noises aren't just thrown together, but it seems like it, and that is what makes this experimental album so creative and innovative.

No comments: