Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Zaireeka Observation



I'd heard one song by the Flaming Lips before I stepped into class today. I wasn't sure what to expect as the class formed into a little powwow circle. The four ghetto-blasters began playing at the same time (well, as close as it could've been). The first track seemed like one big mix between modern blues, and church choir music with psychadelic tones. It seemed like the type of music that would be played at the beginning of an independant film. It was definately a new experience. It was relaxing and comfortable, and the Beatles-esque style made me feel immune to vulnerability. Spuradic screams resound almost simultaneously from the four ghetto-blasters surrounding the powwow circle. I stare around in confusion, only to see the same stares returned to me by my fellow classmates. Everyone seems just as perplexed by this music as I. The music drifts into a pacifying jam, the kind of music that would be on the soundtrack to the ideal eternal vacation. There are no worries in the room.


The following track sounds like a departing airplane. It's only now that I realize how the stereos have gradually become more alternating than simultaneous, as far as being syncronized. This music is almost rejuvenating, very pleasant and chill. Wait...did I hear that last line correctly? "Missiles into the vaginas"...? Hmmm....I must be losing my mind. I must look these lyrics up, just to be sure I'm not going crazy. Wayne Coyne is artistically mad.


The end of track four sound like an orchestra warming up, where every musician is playing a different note, but still the sound oddly comes together in an unexplainable way. I must be going insane, if I'm not already there. Disc four was a bit sinister, as far as track four's ending.


This music lulls me to sleep. Not because it is boring, but because it resembles white noise, although it is still much more than that. At times it produces a villainous and dark sound, yet at other times it could very well be the soundtrack to the Garden of Eden. The harmonics of the vocalist(s) make my eyelids seem heavy, as the vocals transcend into a big montage of organ riffs.


Track 6 lulls me to sleep like track 5.


Track 7 is so odd. One minute it sounds like white noise, and the next minute it sounds like a million disgruntled rioting snakes. Some aspects of this music remind me of ringtones for cell phones. Kind of annoying, as I keep having to instinctively check to make sure I didn't leave mine on by accident. This final track gradually drifts into an animal riot. Total destruction and chaos. Very trippy.


I'm not quite sure what to make of this, as thoughts flutter throughout my mind like moths in a lampshade. It reminded me of Pink Floyd for some reason.... It was completely random music, yet it vaguely made sense. I still don't know how to describe it. Enlightening? Not especially. Eye-opening? Yes, but that's too broad. The closest I'll ever get to an acid trip by surround sound? Bingo.

No comments: